For our history, start here

Monday, March 19, 2012

Just an update

With the announcement of my new pregnancy, and all the chaos that naturally ensues, I'm afraid I haven't been able to update everyone as much as I would like.

Charlie began two weekly sessions of private outpatient physical therapy about a month ago. We are absolutely in love with one of our new therapists. She is engaging, and full of energy. After two sessions with her, Charlie actually took three independent steps! Our other new therapist leaves something to be desired. So much so that I think I would rather cancel that session and do work with him myself at home. At the hospital where Charlie receives services, we were introduced to an orthotist, who fitted him for SMO's, or Supra-Malleolar Orthosis. These are a type of orthotics that are made of plastic, and go inside the shoe, up to the ankle. It provides support, helps maintain a natural foot position.
Well, we received the SMO's, and were informed that our insurance doesn't cover orthotics, so we would be responsible for the $1300 bill (this is the discounted price, of course). UGH. We will be appealing the insurance company for coverage, as I think most medical professionals will agree that these are a medical necessity for Charlie. As a result of all of this, our family is seriously considering moving to Pennsylvania, where children with disabilities can receive medical assistance, regardless of family income. We learned this during an Angel playdate we had with some of the other great Angel families in Pennsylvania.

The good news is that Charlie has made some really great progress in the past few months. He is generally more engaged during his therapy sessions, and seems to have a greater understanding of what we ask him to do. He began learning PECS, which is a picture-based alternative communication system, and is having real success with that. Like I mentioned before, he also took three independent steps during one of his therapy sessions. I have no doubt in my mind that this child will walk, and I think it may be before his 3rd birthday. That alone gives me so much hope for Charlie.

In the next few months, we will begin the application process for preschool. I'm quite nervous about this, as I feel  like there is so much pressure to choose the program that is going to help Charlie the most. I've heard too many horror stories about lackluster special needs classrooms to NOT be anxious about this decision.

I believe that's all for now. I hope that I will have a lot more exciting news to post in the next few months!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the pregnancy what wonderful news. Our Scotty has two younger sisters and they are his biggest blessing. They made us "normal" in that we were forced to leave our isolated world that revolved completely around his special needs. And they were and are still his best teachers. Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete